Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 924-1133

MON – FRI (8am - 6pm)

  • By: Serving Immigrants
  • Published: June 29, 2020
A women covering her face with her hands - Serving Immigrants

If you are a survivor of abuse and are married to a United States citizen or permanent resident, you may be able to obtain a green card by filing a self-petition under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The VAWA program is a helpful tool for domestic abuse survivors to stay permanently in the United States without the assistance of their spouses. However, petitions can be denied, and there are some common reasons why they are denied.

Submitting Incorrect Forms To The Incorrect Place

When filing a petition for a VAWA green card, it is important that you submit the correct forms that are required for the petition. These forms can depend on your status. For instance, if you are facing removal proceedings or if you are facing an adjustment of status based on your marriage, there may be different forms that apply. In addition, you must be sure that the application is filed in the right place, depending on your immigration status.

Submitting Incorrect Information

It is important to submit a complete and correct petition. Sometimes you are unable to obtain the documentation you need because it is in possession of your abuser. An experienced VAWA attorney can help you gather the information you need.

Missing The Filing Deadline

You can apply for a VAWA green card at any time during your marriage or within two years after the date of your divorce from your abuser.

Submitting Incomplete Information

As part of your petition, you must submit information about your relationship to the abuser. You must also prove that your abuser was a United States citizen or permanent resident at the time of the abuse. In addition, you will need documentation demonstrating that you have been abused. There is also a requirement that you submit documentation demonstrating that you are of good moral character. If you fail to submit complete documentation regarding any of these requirements, then your petition may be denied.

An Experienced Attorney Can Help With Your VAWA Green Card

If you are applying for a VAWA green card, you may want the help of an experienced immigration attorney who can make sure that your documentation is complete and that you properly prepare your petition. At Serving Immigrants, we have extensive experience with VAWA petitions, and we want to help you. Contact us online or call us at (305) 907-6151 to schedule a strategy session.

Image of Attorney Magdalena Cuprys, Esq with 4.7 start reviews

Attorney Magdalena Cuprys is a seasoned immigration lawyer based in Orlando and Coral Gables, Florida. With three languages under her belt and years of legal experience working with immigrants of all kinds, she brings considerable experience and insight to the field and works hard to explain immigration concepts, empower future citizens, and keep current and prospective immigrants up to date on US immigration law.

Connect with her firm, Serving Immigrants, to stay updated on the latest developments in United States immigration law and gain valuable insights needed to navigate the challenging legal landscape of immigration in Florida. 

Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 924-1133

Text Us