Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 907-6151

MON – FRI (8am - 6pm)

  • By: Serving Immigrants
  • Published: January 31, 2020
Social Security card and USA flag - Serving Immigrants

For foreign nationals with extraordinary abilities, there are a number of different visas that can be used to work in the United States. Choosing the right one can be a complicated matter. Some people might plan to change from an O-1 visa to an EB-1 green card, and it is important to know the differences.

What’s An EB-1 Green Card?

An EB-1 green card is for individuals who demonstrate expertise or recognized talent in their specialized field. This includes individuals such as scientists, doctors, researchers, business executives, educators, and other professionals with renowned talent. In order to be eligible for an EB-1, the applicant must have three years of relevant work experience in their field. Once an EB-1 green card is granted, the individual will have permanent residency in the United States.

What’s An O-1 Visa?

An O-1 visa is also reserved for individuals with extraordinary ability in their field. Individuals with an O-1 visa are initially allowed to stay for three years but have the option of requesting an unlimited number of one-year extensions. O1-A visas are for individuals such as scientists, researchers, business executives, and academics. O1-B visas are for individuals in the arts or entertainment industry.

Differences Between O-1 Visas And EB-1 Green Cards

The biggest difference between the O-1 visa and the EB-1 green card is that holders of a green card are granted permanent residency in the United States. In addition, there are different guidelines for acceptance. For this reason, holders of O-1 visas will not automatically qualify for EB-1 green cards. The requirements for an EB-1 green card are much more intensive, and candidates must show considerable proof that they are at the top of their field. In addition, EB-1A candidates can self-petition without the need for an employer sponsor. O-1 visa applicants must have a sponsor. The EB-1 petition also demands a higher standard for special talent.

Contact An Experienced Immigration Attorney

If you are considering applying for an O-1 visa or a green card, you may want the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney. At Serving Immigrants, Inc., we have the experience and the knowledge to guide you through the application process. Contact us online or call us at (305) 907-6151 to schedule a strategy session.

Call Us To Get Your Case Reviewed - Serving Immigrants

Attorney Magdalena Cuprys is a seasoned immigration lawyer based in Orlando and Coral Gables, Florida. With three languages under her belt and years of legal experience working with immigrants of all kinds, she brings considerable experience and insight to the field and works hard to explain immigration concepts, empower future citizens, and keep current and prospective immigrants up to date on US immigration law.

Connect with her firm, Serving Immigrants, to stay updated on the latest developments in United States immigration law and gain valuable insights needed to navigate the challenging legal landscape of immigration in Florida. Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 907-6151

Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U