Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 907-6151

MON – FRI (8am - 6pm)

  • By: Serving Immigrants
  • Published: April 22, 2021

If you are a United States citizen and your fiancé lives overseas, you have an important decision to make. Should you bring your fiancé over to the U.S., or should you marry them overseas and then bring them over as your spouse? Factors such as timing, your personal preference as to where to hold the wedding, and expense can all play a part in your decision.

Fiance Visa

A fiancé visa, also known as a K-1 visa, is issued to a foreign national who is engaged and intends to marry a U.S. citizen. Before filing for a fiancé visa, a couple must show that they have seen each other in person within the last two (2) years. The foreign partner must marry the U.S. citizen within ninety (90) days of being admitted to the United States. The U.S. citizen partner must meet the income level of 100% of the federal poverty line. You must be able to establish that you have concrete wedding plans and that your relationship is bona fide.

Marriage-Based Visa

A marriage-based visa requires that the foreign national be legally married to a U.S. citizen prior to applying for the visa. You must prove that your marriage isn’t fraudulent and that you are not married to anyone else. The U.S. citizen spouse must earn at least 125% of the federal poverty guidelines.

Differences To Consider

There are some other differences between these visas that should be considered, including:

  • Cost—as of early 2021, the government fees associated with a fiancé visa total approximately $2,025. The costs for a marriage-based visa total $1,200.
  • Time—with a fiancé visa, the foreign national can typically come to the U.S. within seven (7) months of the application. The marriage-based visa can take up to thirteen (13) months to be completed.
  • Where do you want to get married—it is important to consider where you want to get married, which can depend on where your friends or family are located. One solution to this dilemma may be to have a celebration that is separate from an actual wedding ceremony.

Questions? We Can Help

If you are trying to decide between a fiancé visa and a marriage-based visa, then you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney. At Serving Immigrants, we can help you make the best decision for your family. Contact us online or call us at 305-907-6151 to schedule a consultation.

Call Us To Get Your Case Reviewed - Serving Immigrants

Attorney Magdalena Cuprys is a seasoned immigration lawyer based in Orlando and Coral Gables, Florida. With three languages under her belt and years of legal experience working with immigrants of all kinds, she brings considerable experience and insight to the field and works hard to explain immigration concepts, empower future citizens, and keep current and prospective immigrants up to date on US immigration law.

Connect with her firm, Serving Immigrants, to stay updated on the latest developments in United States immigration law and gain valuable insights needed to navigate the challenging legal landscape of immigration in Florida. Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 907-6151

Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U