Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 907-6151

MON – FRI (8am - 6pm)

  • By: Serving Immigrants
  • Published: August 25, 2020
A person holding a guitar - Serving Immigrants

In order to remain at the top of their field, athletes, entertainers, and other performers must travel the globe in order to remain at the top of their field. This often involves working in the United States. In order to perform in the United States, an entertainer must be sure to have the right visa in place. There are two options you may want to consider if you’re an entertainer looking to work in the United States. An experienced immigration attorney can help you may the right decision for your circumstances.

P-1 Visas

P-1 visas are available to athletes, artists, and entertainers who wish to work in the United States. You may be eligible for a P-1 visa if you are an entertainer, or group of entertainers, recognized as outstanding. P-1 visa holders may perform for payment or prize money. Visa holders may travel freely between the United States and other countries.

O-1 Visas

O-1 visas are available for individuals with extraordinary abilities in the arts, science, entertainment, athletics, business, and education. Individuals who are in the performing arts must demonstrate distinction in their chosen field. There should be a degree of skill over and above the general field. This can be shown with evidence of s significant award or the demonstration of other criteria. Individuals in the motion picture or television industry are also eligible for O-1 visas if they can show extraordinary achievement in their field.

Differences Between P-1 And O-1 Visas

These visas are similar in that they are only available to a small percentage of individuals who have made it to the top of their fields. There must be thorough documentation and compelling evidence to demonstrate eligibility for these visas.

There are key differences, however. P-1 visas only apply to a handful of fields. The duration of a P-1 visa is limited to the length of the scheduled performance, itinerary, or season. The initial duration is up to one year with the possibility of extensions. O-1 visas on the other hand include broader fields and are generally available for a longer duration. They initially last up to three years with the availability of unlimited extensions. You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to determine which visa is right for you.

An Immigration Attorney

An immigration attorney can help you weigh your options and determine which visa is the right one for you. At Serving Immigrants, we have extensive experience and can walk you through the process. Contact us online or call us at (305) 907-6151 to schedule a strategy session.

Call Us To Get Your Case Reviewed - Serving Immigrants

Attorney Magdalena Cuprys is a seasoned immigration lawyer based in Orlando and Coral Gables, Florida. With three languages under her belt and years of legal experience working with immigrants of all kinds, she brings considerable experience and insight to the field and works hard to explain immigration concepts, empower future citizens, and keep current and prospective immigrants up to date on US immigration law.

Connect with her firm, Serving Immigrants, to stay updated on the latest developments in United States immigration law and gain valuable insights needed to navigate the challenging legal landscape of immigration in Florida. Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 907-6151

Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U