Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 907-6151

MON – FRI (8am - 6pm)

  • By: Serving Immigrants
  • Published: July 29, 2020
The flag of Mexico - Serving Immigrants

A TN visa is a nonimmigrant visa and is an abbreviation of Trade NAFTA. It is a visa that allows citizens of Canada, as NAFTA professionals, to work in the United States in prearranged business activities for the United States or foreign employers. It is a special classification that is part of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), which created special economic and trade relationships.

Who Is Eligible For TN Visa?

In order to qualify for a TN visa, you must intend to perform business activities in the United States at a professional level. You must be a citizen from Canada and must be skilled in a profession. Some examples of qualifying professions include:

  • Accountant
  • Engineer
  • Scientist
  • Lawyer
  • Medical Professional
  • Teacher

Your profession must qualify under regulations, and the position available in the United States must require a NAFTA professional. You must have a prearranged full-time or part-time job with a United States employer. Self-employment does not count. You must also have all of the necessary qualifications to work in your profession.

Is A TN Visa Dual Intent?

A TN visa is not dual intent, which means that you could face future travel consequences if you file for a green card while under this status. If you intend to apply for a green card, it is recommended that you seek another type of visa.

How Long Is A TN Visa Valid?

The initial period for a TN visa is three years. The visa holder can then apply for extensions on the visa in three-year increments. There is an unlimited number of extensions available.

What About My Dependents?

TN visa holders may be accompanied by their spouses and children under the age of 21. These individuals would obtain a TD visa, which is a nonimmigrant dependent visa. Dependents are not required to be citizens of Canada. Dependents are not authorized to work in the United States, but they can attend school.

Contact An Experienced Visa Attorney

If you’re interested in exploring your visa options, you should consult with an experienced immigration attorney. At Serving Immigrants, Inc., we have the experience and the knowledge to guide you through the process. Contact us online or call us at (305) 907-6151 to schedule a strategy session.

Call Us To Get Your Case Reviewed - Serving Immigrants

Attorney Magdalena Cuprys is a seasoned immigration lawyer based in Orlando and Coral Gables, Florida. With three languages under her belt and years of legal experience working with immigrants of all kinds, she brings considerable experience and insight to the field and works hard to explain immigration concepts, empower future citizens, and keep current and prospective immigrants up to date on US immigration law.

Connect with her firm, Serving Immigrants, to stay updated on the latest developments in United States immigration law and gain valuable insights needed to navigate the challenging legal landscape of immigration in Florida. Call Us Now To Get Your Case Reviewed (305) 907-6151

Accessibility Accessibility
× Accessibility Menu CTRL+U